Perfect for taco Tuesday or meatless Monday, these easy vegetarian tostadas are kid-friendly and ready in just 5 minutes.
These easy vegan or vegetarian tostadas are the perfect family meal to throw together at the last minute. Perfect for picky eaters, these are served family style so your child is in control of exactly what goes on their tostada! Plus, when kids are able to choose their own portions and serve themselves, they learn to listen to their bodies and regulate their food intake.
TOSTADAS VS TACOS
Tostadas are great for kids. They:
- don’t break in half or fall apart like hard shelled tacos (which can cause many tears and meltdowns)
- are flat which makes it easier for kids to spread the beans and toppings
- are easier for kids to eat
WHY VEGETARIAN TOSTADAS?
These 5-minute tostadas are:
- fun for kids to make
- simple, easy and inexpensive
- full of healthy plant based ingredients like beans and veggies
- made with pantry ingredients
- can be customized to your child’s liking
TURN IT INTO A TACO PARTY
My daughter refused to try tacos until she read the book Dragons Love Tacos. Now we eat these at least once a week. Honestly, sometimes we eat them for breakfast they are so easy to make. And on taco night we wear party hats and turn it into a taco party.
COOKING WITH KIDS
My daughter adores making these. She loves putting the ingredients into small bowls and making her tostada. Not only is this a fun activity and great bonding experience, but when kids help cook they are more likely to try new foods, increase their fruit and vegetable intake, and expand their palates. Here are some kid-friendly tasks your child can help with:
- stirring the beans
- shredding the cabbage
- placing toppings into little bowls (shredded cheese, salsa, cabbage, avocado)
- slicing limes
- scooping and cutting avocado
- picking the correct number of tostadas from the bag
- creating their own tostada!
CUSTOMIZE YOUR TOSTADA
The best part about tostadas is everyone in your family can make them exactly how they want! Feel free to experiment and tailor them to your families preference. Here are some topping suggestions:
- refried beans
- vegan shredded cheese or cheese of choice
- shredded purple cabbage
- black beans
- shredded lettuce
- cashew cream
- lime juice
MAKE YOUR OWN TOSTADA
Once everything is prepared, set everything on the table and let the fun begin! Give your child free reign to create their own tostada. Show them how to smear the refried beans on first with the back of a spoon (this acts like glue) and then top to their hearts content!
TIPS TO RAISE A HEALTHY EATER
Don’t force your child to add the veggie toppings, or any toppings at all! Does your child just want refried beans on their tostada? Great! Beans are full of important nutrients for kids including protein, iron, zinc, fiber, potassium and magnesium. Give them the freedom to listen to their body’s hunger and fullness cues by deciding how much and if they will eat. For more information on raising healthy eaters see my post on The Division of Responsibility.
THE HUMBLE CABBAGE
While kale and broccoli are the stars of the cruciferous vegetables, don’t forget about cabbage. It’s full of antioxidants, phytochemicals and fiber to help reduce your risk of cancer, lower cholesterol and reduce inflammation. Plus, cabbage is inexpensive and lasts at least two weeks in the fridge. Throw it in salads, top your tacos, and include it in your wraps.
Not sure which cabbage to choose? Go for the red/purple variety as it contains 8 times more antioxidants than green cabbage.
Easy Vegetarian Tostadas With Refried Beans
- 8 tostadas
- 2 (16-ounce) vegetarian refried beans
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- lime juice
- Add refried beans and taco seasoning to a saucepan and heat on medium low heat until warm. Set aside.
- While the beans are heating, prepare toppings of choice and set out in small bowls.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of refried beans onto the tostada shell.
- Top with toppings of choice. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate this recipe and leave a comment. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!