Kids will have a blast making their very own edible jewelry while snacking on whole grains and fresh fruit. Pair this fun crafting activity with snack time, during a play date, a school activity, or a child’s birthday party. Or, put it in your kid’s lunchbox for a special lunchtime surprise.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR EDIBLE JEWELRY
Get creative with your child and come up with your own edible jewelry creations. Try using:
- freeze dried fruit like strawberries, raspberries and bananas
- dried fruit like apricots and apples
- other types of cereal
Cheerios are easy to thread because they have a hole in the middle. They are also a great food for kids because they are:
- a whole grain
- low in sugar (only 1 gram in each cup)
- fortified: important nutrients for kids such as iron and zinc are added in
Blueberries are full of nutrients including:
- antioxidants. Out of all commonly eaten fruits, berries have the most antioxidants. Antioxidants help repair damaged cells in our body to reduce inflammation and keep our bodies functioning well.
- fiber to promote a healthy gut health and proper digestion
- vitamin C to boost the immune system
- vitamin K to help kids develop strong, healthy bones
If you are worried about grapes with your little one, slice them in half or don’t use them. I made the necklaces with just cheerios and blueberries a lot of the time.
- also have fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and healthy plant compounds such as antioxidants.
- Elastic Cord String (dental floss, regular string or ribbon work too)
- Yarn needle (these are larger than regular needles and have a blunt end)
- OR use a straw to poke holes in the fruit. This may be a better option for younger kids.
EDIBLE JEWELRY INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: Wash fruit and place fruit and cheerios in a bowl or platter.
STEP 2: Cut a piece of string approximately 2.5 feet long. Tie a cheerio on one end.
STEP 3: Thread the fruit and cereal beads.
Option 1 Yarn Needle Method: If you are using a yarn needle, thread the other side of the string through the yarn needle hole and tie in a knot. Thread the beads onto the string.
Option 2 Straw Method: If you don’t have yarn needle, or your kids are little, poke holes in the fruit using a straw first. Thread the beads onto the string.
STEP 4: ENJOY! When you are finished, tie the necklace around your neck and enjoy your snack.
For other fun food activities check out:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you make a purchase through links in this post, I may receive commissions. Thank you for supporting Raised on Veggies.
Edible Jewelry – A Fruit And Whole Grain Filled Snack
- 2.5 feet of elastic string
- 1 yarn needle
- 1/3 cup cheerios
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup grapes
- Wash fruit and set out a bowl of fruit and cheerios.
- Cut a piece of string approximately 2.5 feet long. Tie a cheerio on one end.
- On the other end, thread the string through the yarn needle and tie in a knot. (If you don't have a yarn needle, poke holes in the fruit using a straw first). Thread the fruit and cereal beads onto the string in any order you wish.
- Tie the necklace around your neck and enjoy!
Did you do this activity? Please rate this recipe and leave a comment. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!