Vegan overnight oats is the perfect make ahead meal for busy mornings. They take less than 5 minutes to prepare and are full of important nutrients for kids like protein, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, omega-3 and fiber. They are delicious, creamy, and a great alternative to cooked oatmeal, especially during the hot summer months.
Even toddlers can make this recipe, there’s no cooking or cutting required. Have your child prepare their own portion the night before, and when they wake up they’ll be excited to try the special breakfast they made. Plus, they’ll get a boost of self confidence knowing they did it all by themselves.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN OVERNIGHT OATS
- Oats: Use rolled/old fashioned oats. Steel cut oats won’t soften enough.
- Unsweetened, Fortified Soy Milk: Or your family’s milk of choice.
- Chia Seeds: These add a creamy, pudding like consistency to the oats and are packed full of nutrients such as fiber, protein, calcium, omega-3, and magnesium. Click here for the chia seeds we use.
- Maple Syrup: Optional but adds a hint of sweetness. I use 1 teaspoon to sweeten mine. My daughter likes hers a bit sweeter, so she adds two.
- Cinnamon: Optional but adds a hint of warmth and spice.
- Toppings: Get creative with your child and try out different flavor combinations. Our favorites are berries, chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit, nut butters and sliced bananas.
SOY MILK FOR KIDS
Unsweetened soy milk is a great non-dairy milk alternative for kids. It’s high in protein and has enough healthy fat and calories to support a growing child. Make sure you purchase a fortified brand (check the label, not all are) for added calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12.
However, feel free to substitute with your family’s milk of choice.
- Gather and measure ingredients ahead of time: This way, everything is set up for your child to just pour and stir.
- For a smoother consistency: Process the oats in the blender for a minute first.
- Serve warm or cold: If your child doesn’t like the oats cold, warm them up in the microwave for a minute before serving.
VEGAN OVERNIGHT OATS INSTRUCTIONS
To make overnight oats, simply soak the oats in liquid overnight and in the morning the oatmeal is soft and creamy and ready to go – no waiting, no cooking, no dishes. The best part is everyone in your family can customize the oats to their liking.
Step 1: Add all the ingredients and stir
When I’m making this, I pour everything directly into an 8 oz mason jar with a lid. However when my daughter helps, it’s easier if she pours it into a larger bowl first, and then we transfer it to a smaller container before refrigerating.
Step 2: Cover and refrigerate overnight
Chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours and up to 3 days. If desired, have your child write their name or draw a picture so they know it’s theirs in the morning.
Step 3: Enjoy!
When you are ready to eat, simply remove from fridge, add toppings and a splash more soy milk, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you make a purchase through links in this post, I may receive commissions. Thank you for supporting Raised on Veggies.
Vegan Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened, Fortified Soy milk
- 1 tsp Chia seeds
- 1-2 tsp Maple Syrup (depending on level of sweetness desired)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a bowl or jar with lid and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerator overnight (or for at least 5 hours) to soak.
- Remove from refrigerator, add toppings, and enjoy!
For more cooking activities with your child check out these recipes:
For nutrition articles, check out these posts:
Did you make this recipe? Please comment and rate the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you!