Turn a fun food activity into a healthy, veggie packed meal by encouraging your child to create their very own silly tortilla face. Include extra hummus and veggies for snacking, and when they’ve created their masterpiece, have them roll it up like a burrito and enjoy their veggie wrap!
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Hummus (store bought or click here for a simple recipe by My Fussy Eater)
- Veggies of choice
CUSTOMIZE YOUR VEGGIE WRAP
Kids are more willing to try new foods, including vegetables, if they help prepare them. Serve a new vegetable or one your child is still learning to like alongside some regular favorites. For more ideas serve:
- seeds or chopped nuts such as sunflower seeds, hemp hearts or sliced almonds
- pita bread or toast in place of tortillas
- cream cheese or refried beans instead of hummus
- whatever vegetables you have in your fridge
SERVE THE RAINBOW
Offer your child a variety of veggies each day. Each vegetable has a unique combination of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and plant compounds called phytonutrients. For example:
- Carrots are one of the best sources of vitamin A, which keeps your child’s eyes healthy and protect their cells from damage.
- Tomatoes get their red hue from the phytonutrient lycopene, which may lower the risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Olives are high in heart healthy fats and contain vitamin E and iron.
- Avocados carry almost 20 different vitamins and minerals, are high in fiber, and full of heart healthy fat.
- Cucumbers are filled with water, helping your little ones stay hydrated and have a healthy digestion.
- A child sized spreading knife, plastic knife or butter knife works great to spread hummus onto a tortilla.
- Allow your child to create whatever silly face or design they feel inspired to make.
- Prepare ahead for stress free cooking. Wash and chop vegetables and set up a kid friendly area for your child to create their veggie wrap.
VEGGIE WRAP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1 Have your child spread hummus onto a tortilla.
Step 2 Have your child create a funny face or picture using vegetables of their choosing!
Step 3 When they are finished, have them roll it up like a burrito and enjoy their veggie wrap!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you make a purchase through links in this post, I may receive commissions. Thank you for supporting Raised on Veggies.
Veggie Wrap: Create A Silly Tortilla Face With Kids
- A child sized spreading knife, plastic knife or butter knife
- Small bowls for veggies
- Cutting board or plate
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 medium roma tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup olives sliced
- Spread hummus onto tortilla.
- Create a silly face or design with the vegetables.
- Roll everything into a burrito and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Please rate this recipe and leave a comment. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!