Creamy Vegan Pasta with Tomato and Basil
This creamy tomato and basil pasta uses cashews to make it creamy and delicious. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and is packed with healthy ingredients, making it the perfect family meal for busy weeknights.
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 14 oz can of tomatoes or two large tomatoes roughly chopped and cored
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup leftover pasta water or hot water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced about 1 teaspoon
- 1 loosely packed cup of basil or 1 large handful
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in pasta and cook according to the directions.
Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and process until smooth.
Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it. Add the drained pasta back to the pot and gradually add pasta sauce until your desired amount is achieved. Stir and serve immediately. Save any leftover sauce.
- Tomato paste is optional but it gives the sauce a deeper tomato flavor.
- Gluten-free? Use gluten-free pasta.
- If you aren't using a high-speed blender, soak the cashews in water for a few hours and drain them before blending.
- Store left over sauce in the fridge for up to three days. Use it as a spread on toast, sandwiches or wraps, or as a dip for veggies or pita bread.